Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Saying goodbye is the hardest thing to do

Someone took a liking to me in Cambodia
...and I couldn't help but feel the same way too

........saying goodbye was the hardest thing to do, I wish I could pack him and bring him back.

And I miss him now. Sigh.

He's so cute! And the way he holds your hand melts your heart.


Before you start saying that I'm being "scandalous" again, let me clarify okay ppl!
I really didn't do anything and I really don't know why of all the people from my team, he spent time with me.

His name is Daniel.

And he's 4 years old. Haha, yeah, breathe a sigh of relief...


I know I am definately not a mary poppins kind of person; not an entertaining or funny person. I can't tell jokes, make funny faces (yea maybe my face is naturally cacated? haha), or tell amusing stories. Don't really know how to make toys like paper aeroplanes (to my defense I come from a family of girls..). Quite a boring person actually. That's why it's always unexplainable if children like following me around...because I don't know why would they want to stick around a boring person like me...

Daniel is Ps Kenneth and Yin Meng's youngest son. Ps Kenneth's family have been in Cambodia for 3 years.

So cute right? I want a son like that!!! Hahahahaha

Having him holding on to my hand around the streets of Phnom Penh is scary...for me because the traffic in Phnom Penh is really chaotic. Motorcycles zoom from every corner, plus the fact that we are not used to traffic coming from the right side of the road (just like America) which makes looking out for traffic harder.

In fact the trick is to not cross when cars are driving and to cross when motorcycles are coming your way.......because all (by faith) motorcycles give way to pedestrians in Phnom Penh. It's just like walking into oncoming motorcycles..and trusting that they will stop for you. (they do but this "system" takes time to get used to).

And going to the Russian market for breakfast with him can daunting, not because I don't enjoy his company...but the people carrying hot soup there don't bother to watch out for kids. The market is kind of dark too with narrow lanes, sometimes blocked by goods.

Yet it's fun to play with him. To let him win all the "lets see who can push the other person's hand harder" game..(maybe that's why he likes me huh? haha). To answer all his numerous questions. To hear his husky voice (his natural voice is kind of like someone having a sore throat). To talk to him and answer all his questions, and hold his hand everywhere.

And on the way to the airport, you just don't know what to say when he starts asking "Are you coming back?" "When are you coming back?" "Mummy why I cannot go to Malaysia?" "Mummy I want to go back to Malaysia."

The hardest question was..."when are we going back to Malaysia?"
...and Yin Meng had to answer honestly "2009"

At the airport, had to start keeping a distance, so that he won't keep on asking the questions.
It's so sad to leave him behind.

Truly it's not easy for Ps Kenneth and Yin Ming to come to Cambodia with their family. They will be moving from the city to Kampot...2.5 hours away, to a place without electricity or running water. It's a sacrifice because they would have to home-school their children and set up home in a place without any Christians.

Their house in Kampot is still under-construction and delayed because they can't buy timber pillers for the house. It's stressful because they have to move out of their Phnom Penh house by September. Their kids, Rose-Sharon, Jonathan and Daniel also have to sacrifice as they would be living in a wooden house, with no internet or phone line and without friends their age.

It's especially hard for Kenneth and Yin Ming to make the decision to come to Cambodia because Jonathan has a hole in heart problem, and the health care system in Cambodia is not up to par. One morning during devotions, Kenneth was sharing about his worries for Jonathan, almost with tears because he wants the best for his child as well.

Yet they are faithfully serving God. And even though their children may miss out on the latest games and gadgets, they get to experience different cultures and grow in maturity and love of God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home